Occupational diving is recognised as a high risk activity and, as such, proof of competency and continued proficiency must be demonstrated before ADAS certification is awarded.
ADAS certification brings with it a number of responsibilities and the following guidelines are designed to ensure that the present high level of professional standing and safety of ADAS certificate holders is maintained.
Who has to show proof of continued proficiency?
Proof of continued proficiency has to be provided if you:
- are crossing over to ADAS from an international or military organisation
- are an existing ADAS licence holder and your renewal application has been audited
- are an expired ADAS licence holder whose certification is over two years past the original expiry date and you wish to renew.
How do I show proof of continued proficiency?
The easiest way for you to show proof of continued proficiency is to provide ADAS with logged evidence of your working history.
As a minimum, this includes:
- For divers – 20 occupational dives completed within the 24 month period prior to submitting an application
- For supervisors – supervision of 20 occupational dives within the 24 month period prior to submitting an application
- For Life Support Technicians (LST) – 200 LST panel hours within the 24 month period prior to submitting an application.
For those who, for whatever reason, cannot demonstrate proof of continued proficiency through the provision of logbooks, you can show proof by any of the following means:
- Divers and supervisors can undertake a Proof of Competency assessment and gain a ‘Letter of Competence’ by an appropriately qualified ADAS or IMCA supervisor attesting that you possess the required level of competency
- LSTs can supply a letter of verification from your employer
- All applicants have the option of contacting one of the ADAS schools to undertake an assessment or further training.
Please contact ADAS if you are unable to show logbook evidence or for further information about the continued proficiency assessment and/or details about training courses.