This course covers activities and competencies required for the training and certification of divers who are required to work safely and competently using Enriched Air Nitrox (EAN) using either SCUBA or surface-supplied breathing apparatus (SSBA) in accordance with the AS2815 training Standard. It is designed to provide students with the skills required to dive using EAN in accordance with the AS/NZS 2299.1 Standard.
ADAS trainees and/or certified divers may be endorsed, after appropriate training and/or assessment, as competent to undertake occupational diving using EAN mixtures with SCUBA and SSBA.
The course can be undertaken either as a ‘top-up’ to any ADAS occupational diver training course, or as a stand-alone course for divers who already hold an ADAS certification but lack a Nitrox endorsement.
This course meets the requirements of:
- AS 2815.1 Unit 14 (Using Enriched Air Nitrox)
- AS 2815.2 Unit 12 (Using Enriched Air Nitrox)
Successful completion of the course results in a Nitrox endorsement being added to the diver’s ADAS card.
Students who are undertaking Nitrox training as part of an ADAS occupational diver course must meet the requirements for the diving course itself.
Students who are undertaking Nitrox training as a stand-alone course must:
- Are at least 18 years of age at the commencement of training
- Hold a valid certificate of medical fitness to dive, compliant with AS/NZS 2299.1
- Hold a current ADAS occupational diver certificate
- Hold either a recognised current Diver Medic Technician certificate or a current First Aid certificate from an accredited training organization (i.e. has been certified within 3 years of the conclusion of the proposed training program) and CPR and oxygen resuscitation skills must have been refreshed within the 12 month period prior to the conclusion of the training program. The student’s First Aid qualifications must meet the competency requirements of AS/NZS 2299.1 Occupational diving operations standard operational practice.
- Unless Non-English Language (NEL) speaking course arrangements have been made with ADAS, can understand written and verbal communication in English, and can communicate effectively in English with other persons
- Is able to add, subtract, multiply and divide whole numbers, decimals and vulgar fractions; calculate percentages; and transpose and solve simple formulas, eg gas laws.
Successful completion of the course results in a Vocational Education and Training (VET) Statement of Attainment for the unit of competency:
- NAT11006058 Use enriched air nitrox in occupational diving operations
Delivery & Assessment
The minimum duration for the program is two (2) days as a stand-alone program including theory examinations. The recommended delivery time for theory training is six (6) to eight (8) hours.